In Kaštel Sućurac stands the oldest defensive fortress built in 1392 by A. Gvaldo the archbishop of Split to protect peasants from the settlement Putalj which was situated on the slopes of Kozjak, near the little church of St. Juraj. Additional building formed a settlement by the sea.
Archbishop Averaldo built his summer residence in 1488, and castle gets its final form in 1509. The oldest center of Sućurac is Kaštilac, a yard of fortified palace – villa with the south wall opened by lavishly decorated windows in High Gothic style.
Unlike other villages the square is here formed on the south side of the summer residence. Today, there is the exhibition room "Podvorje" where one part of archeological artifacts from Putalj is held.